JLI Educator Summer Institute
Looking to contribute to the next generation of communicators? The Journalistic Learning Initiative (JLI) seeks recent media and journalism school graduates to fill various co-educator positions in Oregon and California middle and high schools. Anyone interested in scholastic journalism and media education is encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include: lesson planning with teachers; leading lessons, discussions, and activities; developing worksheets and other classroom materials; mentoring and coaching students; and supervising the production of a website or media project. Throughout the school year, educators will also be responsible for participating in virtual support sessions facilitated by the JLI program.
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Journalism, Communication Studies, Media Production, Education, or a related field
• At least one year of experience working in a college or professional newsroom
• Some experience working with children or teens in an instructional setting
• Proficiency in one of the following areas: social media strategy, web design/development, graphic design, video production, or photography
• Strong writing and communication skills
• An enthusiastic classroom presence and ability to motivate learning
• Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
• Superior organizational skills and an ability to work independently with little supervision
• Basic knowledge of computer systems
• Must pass a DHS Criminal Background Check
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience working with children with learning difficulties
• JLI Educators must be available during the entirety of the Portland or Los Angeles public school year, excluding breaks (approximately September 5, 2017 to June 12, 2018).
• JLI Educators are expected to work 15-20 hours per week.
• The JLI Educator Institute will be held in Portland, Oregon from August 13-17, 2017. The first session begins Sunday, August 13 and runs from 10am-5pm. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday sessions run from 9am-6pm. Attendance at all sessions is mandatory.
• JLI Educators are responsible for securing housing and making travel arrangements during this time period.
• JLI Educator Institute Stipend: $1,000 (lump-sum)
• JLI Educators will be placed at a school site for an academic year (9 month appointment), where they will work 15-20 hours per week under Independent Contractor Status. Compensation is dependent on site locale, but typically ranges from $1,200-$2,200 per month.
• Fall 2017 site locations: Eugene, OR; Portland, OR; and Los Angeles, CA
• City placements determined upon hire